Is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Caused By a VIrus or an Infection?

I've been having a discussion with Graham at Chronic Fatigue Survivors blog Vagus Nerve Infection?
regarding his post about new research involving Vagus nerve infection as the cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I really like this post, because to me, it's a classic example of how the medical profession doesn't understand the etiology of CFS.

So let's think about this. Your Vagus nerve is probably the most important nerve in your body. It regulates your heart rate and blood pressure, and is especially sensitive to stress hormones. When someone faints during a stressful situation, it's the result of the Vagus nerve overcompensating, trying to calm the body down so much, that blood pressure and heart rate suddenly drop, and the person faints.
So theoretically, you'd have to have a very compromised immune system in order for the Vagus nerve, a nerve that is so vital to life, to become infected. It would be a very rare thing indeed for someone to have  an infection in their Vagus nerve. So then we have to ask,(if there really is an infection in the vagus nerve),  why does the Vagus nerve become infected?  Could it be an immune system that is compromised? And why is your immune system compromised? Could it be that your autonomic nervous system is in "overdrive" constantly sending out stress hormones, preventing the body from going into "rest and relax" mode, and fending off infections?

So many times CFS is preceded by a virus. This was true in my case. I developed a virus the night
before I was due to compete in a triathlon. Sick as I was, I did the triathlon anyways. I was very happy with my performance, which exceeded my expectations! But I never recovered. It almost killed me.
I don't think I'm exaggerating here either. But it doesn't mean that my CFS was caused by a virus. The CFS started before the virus did. I had been feeling tired and run down for weeks before I got sick. The CFS had already started, and my immune system was already compromised before the virus hit me, a virus a healthy body would probably have been able to fight off. But because I was compromised, because the CFS had already started, I got the virus. The virus did go away, but the fatigue and dizziness just got worse and worse...and it took me about three and a half years to find a treatment and recover my health. I am very very grateful I found the treatment that I did...and I hope others will find their way out of this illness as well.

But as I told Graham, I wouldn't bet on the medical profession finding a treatment anytime soon. In all of my searches for effective treatments I found only one doctor (who had suffered from adrenal fatigue and had treated himself), who treated patients on the theory that CFS is really autonomic nervous system dysfunction, and who also referred to the work of Hans Selye (general adaptation disorder), in his own research and treatment. This medical doctor was Dr.Lam, who treated me for about six months. He had compounded his own supplements for adrenal fatigue (cfs), which initially helped me, but which, like so many supplements I tried, eventually made my illness even worse. He also had me stop any physical activity, even walking, and do his adrenal breathing and restorative yoga program. None of which helped. As an aside, I once asked him if he had fully recovered. He didn't answer me, but told me that he spent an hour a day doing adrenal breathing exercises.

Comments

  1. I am so happy to see yo address the vagus nerve connection. I ahve been told several times that I seem to have vagus nerve damage. I know some of the things that heal and strengthen the vagus nerve are not supplements and diets but breathing, joy, relaxation. It is just as connected to things like a healthy sense of self or spirituality as it is to good digestion and heart rate in my reading and I keep coming back to that when I have doubts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to see yo address the vagus nerve connection. I ahve been told several times that I seem to have vagus nerve damage. I know some of the things that heal and strengthen the vagus nerve are not supplements and diets but breathing, joy, relaxation. It is just as connected to things like a healthy sense of self or spirituality as it is to good digestion and heart rate in my reading and I keep coming back to that when I have doubts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Sarah, Thank you for your comment. I have done lots of research into this, but I'm not a doctor. However, that theory seems a bit silly to me...because what controls the Vagus nerve? The autonomic nervous system. And besides that, your body will work VERY hard to protect your Vagus nerve...it is necessary for life...a really good book to read, especially if you are having doubts about the origin of your illness, is Reverse Therapy by Dr. John Eaton...the therapy you are doing is based on his work..and he very clearly outlines what is going on with your body when you have Chronic Fatigue, ( and other hard to treat illnesses as well).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts