Between Us And The Noisy World

We live in a noisy world. We're bombarded with constant stimulation, constant information, and constant emotional manipulation. For those of us who are intuitive, empathic, and sensitive,
it's overwhelming. The urge, often unconscious, to escape is real. It is simply, too much.

Those of us who are highly sensitive will block out the noise, retreat from the day, and look for a safe and quiet space. The world craves our attention, our emotional energy, our feedback. It craves
our very souls.

Many, but not all of those who suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, are highly sensitive people with highly reactive nervous systems. We also see this trait in herd animals, who are highly sensitive to begin with. But a small percentage of a herd will sense danger, and run, well before the other members of the herd will. So when those few animals start running, the rest of the herd will know to run, too.
They keep the herd safe because they are more finely tuned to their environment.

Being a "high sensitive"can often come with a tendency towards health issues like anxiety,depression, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and auto-immune diseases.
Like those highly sensitive herd animals, we have much to learn from our highly sensitive friends!
They can lead us to a clear understanding to how body, mind and soul can work together to create health or disease.

When someone is highly sensitive they are highly reactive to their environment. To lights, sounds, to other people and to other peoples emotional states. They are constantly responding to and reacting to environmental and emotional  stimulation, outside of themselves so that their energy and focus are pulled away from themselves, and into the outside world.  Because they can "feel" how others are feeling, they energetically take on and absorb those feelings, causing more stimulation and stress. They lose sight of themselves.

The key to living as a highly sensitive, then, is not to develop more coping skills but to use that unique gift to develop a very strong relationship with yourself, to know your boundaries. This is something I had to learn to do in order to heal. I wasn't aware that I didn't know my boundaries, but my energy would be diffused amongst everything that was happening outside of my self. My life had become one big coping skill, to deal with everything I was feeling. The most harmful coping skill I developed was blocking out painful and intense emotions, and blocking out negative emotions.

Healing involved learning to find my core essence, and using that inner core to find my boundaries, and direct my world from a place of inner power, rather than external stimulus. This has enhanced my gifts of empathy, intuitiveness, and creativity, and helped me to find balance and sanity and health in what is a very noisy world.

Recently a reader asked me how I knew I was recovering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
My response was that I started to feel. I didn't know I wasn't feeling, until I started to feel again. Like so many highly sensitive people I had become overwhelmed by feeling everything, that I shut down
and ignored my own feelings. They were just another source of too much stimulation. So in my treatment I learned that my emotions were actually quite important, they serve a purpose, and it was through my emotions that I was able to find my core essence and heal myself.

Emotions are the language of the soul. The healing of any illness occurs when a person finds their way back to their core essence. Healing is coming back to source.

Comments

Popular Posts