The Trinity of You: Body, Mind, and Soul

Have you ever walked into a room and sensed the tension in the air?  Do you notice someone's emotional state without even talking to them, even if you've never spoken to them before? If you have, you are picking up on emotional energy.

Emotions are powerful, they are energetic in nature, driven by a cascade of chemical and hormonal reactions. Every cell in the body has "emotional receptors", so an emotion is felt throughout the body...through all the cells in the body, not just the mind,  but in every cell and every organ. This discovery was made by Dr. Candace Pert, and her work, specifically her book, Molecules of Emotion, help us to understand how emotions, subconsciously repressed, can wreck havoc with the body.

Emotions remind us of who we really are. They are the link between body and mind. They help to form the perfect trinity of us..body, mind, and soul.  A negative emotion tells us when we have gone too far afield. It is a call to action. If it is ignored for too long, an emotion will become a physical symptom..of pain, fatigue, infection, or any manner of disturbing symptoms. An emotion is energy in motion. When an emotion is repressed, energy is repressed. The chemical and hormonal flow of information is then disrupted, causing the hypothalmus, the seat of the emotional center of the brain, to run on "overdrive", causing dysfunction in the immune and autonomic nervous system. The nervous system becomes "stuck" in overdrive, sending a constant cascade of stress hormones throughout the body. The body never switches into "rest and relax" mode, causing debilitating fatigue, frequent infections and viruses, and all sorts of frightening and debilitating symptoms.

Emotions of all kinds are inherently healthy. They are simply messages. They don't need expression so much as response. Many times I hear people talking very clearly about how they are feeling, thinking that they must always be very clear and very aware of their feelings.  This is a bit of a mistake, because it sends people right up into their heads, analyzing and communicating complicated feelings, trying to make clarity and sense out of an immediate emotion. It's much more helpful to be aware of how you are physically feeling at any one time...to bring your focus out of your head and into your body. It's not necessary to express anger, or release rage. It is necessary to find the message the emotion of anger is sending to you, and answer the call. It's not necessary to communicate feelings at every turn, it's just necessary to be aware of bodily feelings, and to understand the message behind them. This is an inside job, and doesn't require lengthy conversations or discussions with those around us. They just require interpreting the message and following with action.


Have you every felt that an issue was "weighing heavily on you", and that you "needed to get something off your chest"? This is an example of your body communicating with you, telling you that something needs to be resolved, before you can move on. Do you know how it feels to have a heavy issue resolved? Physically you feel lighter and more energetic. This is your body communicating with you that you are back in harmony with your self, and energetically free to continue on your path of growth.

A while back I was angry and disappointed with my son. When he came home from school I put my anger and disappointment aside, so he could talk to me about his day. In fact, I didn't want to ruin a perfectly nice afternoon with my son by engaging in conflict.  As we were talking I felt a heavy wave of fatigue come over me. Suddenly, I needed a nap. I found myself trying to end the conversation, so I could lie down while he did his homework. But something happened. We naturally drifted onto  the subject that had been bothering me. Our talk reassured me that he was addressing the concerns I had, and displaying the maturity I was looking for.  My fatigue lifted. I felt lighter and better than I had all day. My disappointment and anger receded. I did not need to voice my feelings, I didn't need to express my anger. Indeed, that would have been counterproductive. My anger was a signal to me that something important to me wasn't being addressed. The issue was resolved, my body let me know this by returning to a state of energy and lightness. But notice I didn't ask for him to resolve my emotion, I didn't need to express my feelings in order for resolution to occur. It was completely an "inside job".

Health is an "inside job". So many times we look to others to resolve our issues, when the answers really are within. But we've been mislead. The answers are not in "the mind". They are in the body,
which is where the mind really dwells.  Illness occurs when thereis a disruption of the continuous flow of energy through the body. This energy is part of the perfect trinity of you body, mind, and soul. A disruption in the perfect flow of information between these three aspects of self results in physical/mental/spiritual sickness. You are, after all, a trinity, flowing in the midst of infinity.



Comments

Popular Posts